The village of Cook Located on the banks of the Ukhtoma River in the north of the Yaroslavl region almost on the border with Vologda and surrounded by protected forests. Nearest settlements — Gryazovets (46 km), Poshekhonye (58 km) and the prechoe (60 km). Population — About 1000 people.
The story of the village of Cook
By his appearance, the village of Cook is obliged to the inquars, the followers of Sergius of Radonezh, who left in the deaf forests and built there Slices and abode.
The fate of the monasteries was different: some of them became rich, some broke, but settlements during monasteries, as a rule, existed long. One of them and became a bob.
Where there is such an amicing name, there are several versions. According to one of them, it has a samian roots (Saama — Finno-Ugric tribe, who had once lived on these lands) and translates as «Long stream».
Other version that word «Cook» Somehow connected with numerous cucks, traditionally inhabitable local forests.
The first mention of the village refers to 1526, when Voivod Ivan the Terrible Alexander Kemsky bought him and several more settlements at the monastery for 100 rubles and horse.
In less than thirty years, Cook was unsubscribed to the king, and later Ivan the Terrible granted his Kirillo-Belozersky monastery, where he went to pour sins.
By the beginning of the XVII century in the village there was a wooden church and polish. In the middle of the XIX century, Cook becomes part of a subupalist volost, at this time there are five yards, 19 inhabitants and a stone church, which was built in 1836.
At the end of the XIX century, the first school opens in the village, and at the beginning of the 20th century there is a largest national library in the county with a Foundation from 2000 books.
After the revolution of 1917, the underbound volost was renamed the Cucoeane, and the village becomes the administrative center of Pervomaysky district.
The collective farms are actively forming, and in the village of Zakharino, which in seven kilometers from the Kukoy, a female labor agricultural artel was created, which was famous for rich crops and multidisciplinary farm, was among the best collective farms of the country.
But in 1931, it was liquidated, today in the village of Zakharino nobody lives and nothing resembles the events of almost age.
In 2004, Cook was declared the birthplace of Yaga’s Baba, which was the impetus for the active development of the village and the emergence of numerous tourists here. Especially attractive travelers Baba Baba Yaga, who traditionally celebrates on the last Saturday of June and is accompanied by mass festivals.
The most recognizable Kukoy Museum — Certainly, House of Baba Yaga, he is a hut in the bitter legs.
Here you can see different magic things, and the hut itself can rotate, just like in a fairy tale. For children and adults, interactive programs are organized here, as well as fun contests and entertainment.
Not far from the house Baba Yaga is located Forest Residence of the Yaroslav Bear. Yaroslavl, as you know, this «bear corner», and very much in the area due to these animals.
In Kukoba, for example, lives a fairy-tale character Michael Potapovich that entertains kids tug of war, archery and other fun stuff.
In the realm of Baba Yaga can be seen Russian fairy card, which marked the residence of various fairytale characters: Santa Claus, Snow Maiden, water, Berendey and many other amazing creatures.
It also established the so-called The seventh mile of fabulous, which marked the distance to fabulous settlements.
There Kukoba and other distinctive museums. One of them — A house. A. Kostitsyn, became famous in the whole district carving craftsmanship in wood.
The house and furniture in it made by hands of a master. The museum is located in the village. Khabarovo, a mile from Kukoboya, his visit can be ordered by calling 7485 49 3-13-05, +7 962 206-91-75.
Very unusual looks Kukoba school building, built in the early XX century. It is in itself noteworthy, as well as School Museum, located inside.
Here are some expositions: the history of the village, Russian linen, tools and household in the museum’s collection of more than 200 exhibits.
In the local House of Culture located the tiny tales Museum. It takes only one room, which brought together various fairy-tale characters: Dragon, Bag of Bones, geese and other memorable characters, some of them are presented to museum guests.
Next door is Tea Baba Yaga, where guests are treated to the famous kukoboyskimi pies with berries, growing in abundance in the surrounding woods.
Another remarkable place in Kukoba — majestic Church of the Savior Holy Face, which was designed by the famous Basil Kosjakov, author of the Naval Cathedral in Kronstadt.
It was built in the early XX century on the money the local native Agapovicha Ivan Voronin, grown rich and lived in St. Petersburg. He suggested the villagers to build a railroad from Poshekhonye to Kukoboya or cathedral countrymen chose temple. So among the protected forests appeared cathedral worthy of decorating the capital.
Kukoba often referred to as a village on seven springs. Six of them are hiding in the nearby woods, and the seventh, Holy spring, It is located in a pine park and is very popular with locals and tourists.
Legend has it that the water is miraculous, it eliminates the disease, cleans the body, and even has a rejuvenating effect.
In the vicinity of the village there are plenty of interesting sights. One of them — Isaakovsky Nativity of Our Lady Convent, Located in the village of wilderness that twenty kilometers from Kukoboya.
The monastery was founded in the XVII century, it was later abolished. The village, where the monastery is located, uninhabited, get to it can only be on-road SUV. Currently, the monastery is restored.
The administrative center of Pervomaisky district — Immaculate village — located Forest and Local History Museum.
You can learn about the flora and fauna of the local forests, see interesting handicrafts made of wood, one room is dedicated to a native of these places, the Oscar winner animator Alexander Petrov.
Familiarity with protected forests deepens saws and an ax Museum in the village Semenov, it twenty kilometers from Kukoboya.
Here are the tools for woodworking: axes, planes, drills and other tools. A nail exposure certainly queen and king-saw-ax. For guests are held here interactive programs.
The climate in Kukoba can be characterized as moderately cold. Here, long cold and snowy winters and warm, but short summers. The coldest month — January with an average temperature of -13°WITH. Winds advantageously southwest.
The warmer month — July, when the average temperature is kept at 17°C, but in particularly hot days can reach 27°WITH. Most precipitation falls in July, so the best time to visit Kukoboya can take the time from mid-May until the end of June, when it is warm, but the rains are not so often.
How to get to Kukoboya
From Moscow to Kukoboya easily reached by car. Distance — 432 km, travel time — about 7 hours.
First you need to go along the highway M8 Kholmogory for the milling, and, not reaching the ground, turn left onto the puck. Road covering on a federal high quality highway, with the exception of repairs.
Bus service connects Cook with regional center — Yaroslavl. Only one flight per week, travel time — about five o’clock. Also by bus to Kukoya can be reached from Danilova, the most, Peshonya, Vologda and Rybinsk.
North (Vorkuta and Vologda) can be reached by Kukoya by train. First you need to travel Vorkuta-Moscow to get to Nefedovo station, and from there 12 kilometers by car to Kukoy.