Dubrovnik’s sights – Old Town, Funicular
Dubrovnik – one of the most visited cities of Croatia. In 1979, the territory of the Old Town was included in the UNESCO World Heritage List, so in our days, Dubrovnik became a real city-museum. Thousands of tourists visit him daily, who come here from neighboring Montenegro, other resorts of Croatia, as well as on numerous cruise liners that make travels in the Mediterranean. Dubrovnik – a fortress city on the shore of the Adriatic, is required to visit if you are in Croatia. We arrived in Dubrovnik after stunning walks in Croatian National Park Plitvian lakes. Distance from Plervice to Dubrovnik approximately 450km, so we did not specifically look for the night in the area of the National Park, and went to the path under the cover of the night. At night, it is impossible to watch the surroundings, so we traveled along paid highways. Leaving Plervice in the area of 10 pm, at 4 am we were already in Dubrovnik. Attempts to find a hotel with a working desk of registration did not succeed with success, so we drove into the first camping (in which, however, there was no one too) and spent straight in the car, and in the morning they went to inspected the old city – the most interesting attractions of Dubrovnik.
With parking near the old city is very and very difficult – we were able to find a place to leave the car just about a kilometer from the entrance. Surely it was worth waiting for someone to leave and park closer, but it was a pity to waste time. Parking in Dubrovnik almost everywhere paid and at the same time not. I must say that Dubrovnik is generally an expensive city for tourists. Apparently, this is due to the fact that usually people come here for one day, so you need to get the most important income from them.
History of Dubrovnik
Old Town of Dubrovnik is surrounded by powerful defensive walls. The first vehicle complex was built in the XIII century, and in the middle of the XIV century to the walls with a thickness of 1.5 meters completed 15 square towers. When in the XV century, a threat to the attack of Ommans, Dubrovnik’s residents even better strengthened the existing towers and added new ones – the entire old town came the stone wall of 2 kilometers long and 25 meters high. From the side of the sushi width of the walls reaches 6 meters, and from the sea – from 1.5 to 3 meters. Thus, the city has become impregnable for external enemies. Dubrovnik resist a 15-month siege of Saracin.
The history of Dubrovnik begins with the VII century with the invasion of the Slavs, who erased from the face of the Earth ancient Roman city epidavr. Residents fled to the safest, in their opinion, the place – on the island of Ragusa, which was separated from the mainland with a narrow canal. On the island, the city of the same name was built, which the townspeople protected with powerful walls.
Another settlement has arisen in the continent – Dubrovnik, by the title of oak groves, which in those days there were a lot around the city. In the XII century, Ragusa and Dubrovnik united, and the canal between the island and the mainland – loose.
By the end of the XII century, Dubrovnik became a large shopping and cultural center on the Adriatic coast, which provided an important connection between the Balkans and the Mediterranean. In 1205, Dubrovnik fell under the authority of the Venice Republic, and could only get rid of it in 1358. In the XV century, the Republic of Ragus significantly expanded and became the power of which should be considered.
Ragusa took up maritime trade and organized its own fleet. Now the ships from Ragusa went to Egypt, Istanbul, Spain, France, on Sicily and Levant. With the help of diplomacy and high-quality work, Ragusa was able to maintain good relations with the whole Mediterranean, as well as with the Ottoman Empire. The city of Ros and developed.
In 1667, a destructive earthquake occurred, which took the life of 5,000 people and turned the city in the ruins. Only the Palace of Spontas and the Princely Palace. The city was rebuilt anew, but in 1808 he was waiting for a new test: Napoleon came here with his troops and announced the end of the republic. At the Vienna Congress in 1815, Dubrovnik was transferred to Austria and as part of the Austro-Hungarian empire remained until 1918.
Soon, tourism began to develop in the city, but the next blow fell to Dubrovnik already in modern times: in 1991-1992, during the Yugoslav War, the city was subjected to massive shelling and suffered serious damage. Now all damaged buildings in the city are restored, and today Dubrovnik is one of the most prosperous and beautiful cities of Croatia, the pearl of the Adriatic. Well, you are ready for an excursion? Then arrange more comfortable. &# 128578;
Dubrovnik – Old Town. Routes.
There are a large number of routes on Dubrovnik. Almost all of them are conducted organized excursions, including in Russian. We, as it usually happens, went "Where the eyes look". Going along the narrow streets of the Old Town, we were near the Chapel of St. Nicholas, which was built in the XII century and is considered one of the oldest churches of the city. The Church of St. Nicholas in Dubrovnik was rebuilt several times, and today’s facade reached the present day from the XVI century.
The Church of St. Nicholas is almost adjacent to the Sponge Palace (Sponza), built in 1516-1521 by the architect Public Militsevich. In the XVI century in the building of the palace there was a custom, then a mint, state treasury and a bank. Now there is a state archive, which is considered one of their richest in the world in the number and wealth of historical documents collected in it. In addition, it is believed that this is one of the most beautiful buildings of Dubrovnik. Sponza Palace was built at the intersection of all trade routes passing through the republic Dubrovnik. In general, the sponge palace is the most in all respects, so no excursion route passes by this building.
In the central niche of the second floor, the Palace of Sponz is the statue of Holy Mistha – Dubrovnik’s patron.
Next to the sponge palace is the city belfry of 31 meters high. It was built in 1480 and served in the residents of the signal tower for a long time.
One of the facades of the Spoon Palace goes to the Lodge Square, at which the beautiful church of St. Vlaha (CRKVA SV Vlaha) is towering – Dubrovnik’s patron. The church was built on the project of the Venetian architect Marina Gropelly in 1715 on the site of the old church, which survived during the earthquake of 1667, but burned in a fire on the night from 24 to 25 May in 1706.
Inside the church is the statue of Saint Vrace from gold-plated silver, which keeps the model of Dubrovnik – you can see what the city was before the earthquake. It is worth noting that in the city of 27 statues of holy moisture. According to the legend, which appeared in the 10th century, the holy rules appeared in a dream to the priest from the Cathedral of Dubrovnik and warned that insidious Venetians plan to seize the city and already anchored near the island of Lockrum. The priest warned the power of the city, which made it possible to preserve the lives of the city’s guests.
Another famous attraction of Dubrovnik, without which no excursion route is bypass – Princely Palace. It was built in the XV century, and for his long life, he fell a lot of tests (earthquakes, fires), so he expanded, completed, and with each perestroika acquired more and more new features. Despite the fact that the palace is called prince, it was not built for some particular ruler. The fact is that the residents of Dubrovnik chose Prince or Rector every month. In the palace, he was distinguished the bedroom and the office, where the prince was completely isolated from people (even his wife was allowed to him) and devoted all his time only concerns about the city. Above the entrance to the palace is an inscription, which is not better reminded of this: "Forgetting about the personal, serve the society". The Princely Palace in Dubrovnik seemed a lot of rulers.
Near the Princely Palace there is a monument to the dramatic writer and poet – Marina Yerzich. The monument has suspiciously shiny nose. Most likely, it must be lost to "happiness come". &# 128578;
Past of the Princely Palace, we go further journey through the sights of Dubrovnik – to the Cathedral of the Ascension of the Virgin Mary (Cathedral of the Ascension of the Virgin). The cathedral was built on the site of the Basilica of the VII century, extended in the XII century.
According to one of the versions of historians, the first cathedral was the gift of the English king Richard I Lion’s heart, who managed to escape after the shipwreck at the nearby island of Lockrum. After the first cathedral was destroyed during the earthquake of 1667, work began on a new temple, which ended only in 1713.
From the Cathedral of the Ascension of the Virgin Mary in a narrow street, we went to the square of Gundulich. Here is a large number of restaurants, in addition, the area is a farmer market, where residents of the surrounding towns and villages sell their products. From the south side of the area there is a beautiful baroque staircase leading to the Jesuit Church of St. Ignatius.
Walking along the narrow streets of the old city in Dubrovnik, you will definitely go to the main street – Stradun, or as it is also called – "Plates", with a length of only 300 meters. Previously, there was a canal on the spot of this street, which divided the cities of Raguz and Dubrovnik. Stradone translates from Italian as "Avenue". This is exactly what I want to call the main street of Dubrovnik – despite the fact that it is very wide, there is a huge crowd of people, consisting mainly from excursion groups.
Stradun, like all the other streets of the Old Town, is a pedestrian. Here you can listen to the National Croatian music.
Chat with a "live statue".
And even feed the parrots ice cream.
At both ends of the street, the Stradun stands are the fountains of the XV century – a large onufrey fountain at the west end and small onufreyes fountain on the Eastern. It is very close to the city belfry and sponge palace. Fountain is named after its creator, architect Onofrio della Kava from Naples. It is part of one of the first full-fledged urban water pipes in Eastern Europe. Initially, the fountain was two-story, but the second floor was destroyed during the earthquake of 1667.
Next to the fountain staircase that leads to the gate of the saw. It is from here that most excursions in the city begins, especially for those who get to Dubrovnik on cruise ships.
For many centuries, these gates were the main entrance to Dubrovnik. The semicircular tower of the exterior gate was built in 1537 and was decorated with a figure of Holy Mistha. Not far from the gate Pyle you can buy a ticket and climb the city wall at which you can bypass the entire Old Town of Dubrovnik and admire it on the sights from the height.
Of such a number of tourists as in Dubrovnik, we have not seen anywhere. On the central street just apple. As people who do not feel very well in the crowd, we hurried with narrow streets to exit.
Funicular in Dubrovnik
After a walk through the old town of Dubrovnik, we went to another famous attractions – the funicular to look at the city from the height. Tickets can be purchased both in souvenir shops near the Old Town and in the building of the funicular. The price of tickets at the same time in the summer of 2012 was the same regardless of the acquisition location.
The cable car in Dubrovnik is relatively young – it was opened in 1969. During the war in 1991, it was completely destroyed and reopened for tourists only in July 2010.
Cable car trailer accommodates 30 people, travel time 3-4 minutes. During this time you will raise 405 meters above sea level and overcome 778 meters.
Climb to Mount Srjj (yes, yes, there are no vowels in this word!) Needless it is necessary – it opens an unusually beautiful view of the city.
If there is no extra money to pay for the funicular, then you can climb on the viewing platform on foot (the length of the way about 2km), but in the summer when the sun is scored, there are few people. We have seen just a few people.
From the height of Mount Srge, Dubrovnik looks very small, and his corporate red roofs look like roofs of toy houses. Very nice!
Dubrovnik – Museum City, so tourists here are many times more than the local population. For people who do not like the crowd, visiting the sights of Dubrovnik will turn into a whole test. But the place is really very beautiful, and at least once in life it is worth visiting.
This article was stolen from http: // poznamka.Ru.
Although Dubrovnik and did not make a particular impression on us, we will all come here again, but only specially choose the winter months so that the tourists were smaller. I really want to walk along the city wall, look into cozy churches, try seafood, which is so famous for Croatia. Dubrovnik, we will come back! &# 128578;