Gave names

Do not everyone know that in some words the names of real geographical objects are encrypted. Last time we told how thanks to the cities and regions, there were ground words: "mayonnaise", "swab", "champagne", "cologne", "Tulle", "Bologna", "Neandertalez" … At your request, we continue our research. Today we will talk about Russian cities, rivers and regions that have presented their own names of matters, things, creatures and concepts.

Slaves: city and slap

Shalants – a small town in the Leningrad region, based on the combustible shale deposit, – during the time of the USSR presented us with synonym for the word "slippers". This happened thanks to the local plant "Polymer", which was typing the city name on the rubber shoe, because of which many Soviet consumers decided that the slap themselves were called. The word quickly went to the people and it became hardly more popular than the city itself.

Krza: Kirov Plant or English Village?

KRAZ – dense multilayer fabric, cheap skin substitute. There are two versions of this word. According to the dictionary of foreign language words l.NS. Krysina originally became called a coarse woolen fabric by the name of the village of Kursey (Kersey) in England, where the special breed of sheep was bred, from the wool of which this fabric was produced. However, in a number of sources, including in the "Encyclopedia of Vyatka Earth", it is indicated that the word "Kirz" is formed as a result of a reduction in the phrase "Kirov Plant", which was the first mass production of Krza. An engineer Ivan Carmenov worked at this factory developed a new technology for making Krise, for which in 1942 received the Stalinist premium in the amount of 100,000 rubles.

Balaclava: Resort and Transformer Cap

The Crimean Resort of Balaclava near Sevastopol gave the name of the Mask-Mask – Balaclava, which skiers, snowboarders, tourists and employees of special units are often used. According to the legend, this headdress came up with frozen British soldiers during the Crimean War: they stood with a cold winter in 1854-1855 under Balaklava without warm uniforms and saved, which could. Invented by them, the transformer hat made it possible to protect the neck, face and head from frost and shrill marine wind.

Sarpinka: Fabric from the Sarpa River

Sarpinka’s light cotton fabric was named after the Sarpa River, the tributary of the Volga, as the first time began to be made near her with the Volga Germans-colonists. The Germans moved to the Volga region at the end of the XVIII century, responding to Manifesto Catherine II 1762 "On the permission of foreigners to settle in Russia …". In one of the private settlements, under the name of Sarepta-on-Volga in the area of ​​modern Volgograd, industrial weaving Sarpinka – fabric made of thin painted yarn, which was originally delivered from Silesia and Saxony. The demand for Sarpinka was so great that the Germans had to establish their own production of yarn and build a beautiful in Russia. Over time, the Sarpinka has become many, and the colony of Sarepta-on-Volga has declined. See that it remains from it, you can, visiting the Museum-Reserve "Old Sarepta" in Volgograd.

BITYUG: River, horse and man

The Bitug River, the left don’s influx, gave her name of the first Russian rock of heavy horses, which was derived in the XVIII century the peasants of the Voronezh province as a result of crossing the Dutch and Danish stallions with local heavy trucks. It was a surprisingly strong and hardy animal: a daytime rate was considered to be 85 km with a cargo of 800 kg and more. Breed BITYUG has long died out, but the word has become nominative and they are often called healthy, strong, tight addition of men.

Gave names

Vagranka: stove from river

Another Russian River – Wagran in the Sverdlovsk Region presented his own name Vagranka, a mine furnace for smearing the cast iron, which was first made by Russian metallurgists in the Ural Plant near this river.

Perm period and kingdom Permia

The Perm period is the only one in the geological time scale, which was opened on the territory of our country and was named by the name of the historical region of Russia, the ancient kingdom of Permia (Perm Great, Vley), which was located to the west of the northern part of the Urals on the upper chamber. The Scottish geologist Roderick Murchison ranked the Permian period in 1841, after during the journey in Russia found a lot of fossils in the territory of the former Permia. Perm period – the last stage of the Paleozoic era – is sadly known for the greatest mass extinction of species: for obscure reasons of approximately 252 million years ago, 96% of marine species extinct, 83% of insect species and 70% of terrestrial animals. This largest catastrophe of the biosphere in the history of the Earth, called the "mass Perm extinction", still does not give peace by scientists because of the inability to establish the exact cause of the tragedy. You can learn more by visiting the Museum of Perm Antiquities in Perm.

Ruthenium: Russian Element

In the Mendeleev table there is a chemical element of ruthenium, named after Russia. Ruthenia (Ruthenia) is the Latin name of Russia, which in the Middle Ages was used by the Catholic clergy of Europe and the monarch, and later historians – mainly in German, Austrian and Polish sources. Ruthenium element opened Professor Kazan University Karl Karlovich Claus, Baltic German by origin, in 1844. The name "Ruthenies" he borrowed from another German – Chemist Gottfried Wilhelm Ozanna, who planned to call so another element, mistakenly adopted for the new, back in 1828.

Gave names

You might also enjoy:

Leave A Comment

Your email address will not be published.

*

code