Geneva business card
That is "business card" Geneva – cities, picturesque located on the shores of Lake Lehman (which is more often called Geneva) and two rivers – Rhons and Arva? Right – the famous fountain, which is included every day at dawn, strictly following it to work flawlessly. And he beats, causing admiration and in the first time in this amazing city, and working here for a long time, and "Aborigines". All admire everything. Yes, and how else, when you see how a very powerful Water Pole rises to a height of up to 140 meters (the rate of emissions – 200 kilometers per hour), to then fall into the lake, shining a rainbow and shining with millions of splashes all around.
Handsome Fountain is captured on thousands of cinema and video films and millions of postcards with views of the city (which brings a considerable income from Geneva) – because it is one of the most important attractions. But few know that he did not appear due to the desire "fathers of the city" decorate Geneva, and in a very prosaic technical necessity, when the pressure in the urban water supply due to a strong pressure turned out to be at the limit. Then a constant pumping station was built, which helps to throw 250 liters of water into the air per second.
The Geneva Lake extended for several tens of tens of tens of kilometers, on the shores of which there are such world-famous and similar to toy cities, like Lausanne (where is the headquarters of the International Olympic Committee) or Montreux (where Charlie Chaplin lived and he died and where his grave is), very calmly all over. But just below the fountain, where the lake, narrowing, in shape resembles a large funnel, the water rapidly runs to the Mont Blanc bridge, connecting two parts of the Geneva to a single whole, and under it rushes to the rowed corridor. And from the Mont Blanc, who is in the English Park, adjacent to the Mont Blanc Bridge (it is named by the name of the legendary mountain topped with a snowy hat, which is in France, but is excellent, because the state border goes through the outskirts of Geneva), pleasure boat goes. All of them will be afraid of a long dam, on a small breakner of which the fountain. This dam is a protective mole of extremely impressive in its size of the yacht port and boats, which in the dwelling days hundreds of the smooth of the lake. Next to the Mont Blanc Bridge rises a national monument – two bronze female figures, standing shoulder to shoulder at a low pedestal. He erected 130 years ago to commemorate the Union between the Swiss Confederation and the Independent Republic of Geneva, which in 1814 decided to enter this state association, becoming 22nd Canton. Nearby is one more "business card" Cities – famous floral watches, also running on hundreds of thousands of postcards. They seem to symbolize that Geneva is the world center of commerce for hours.
On the other, the right side "Funnels" – also pisces of pleasure ships, and along the waterfront – hotels, among which a multi-tier cone-shaped structure is elevated in a small park, falling out of the total architectural ensemble, by the way, is quite ascetic. It is the tomb-mausoleum of the German Duke Braunschweigsky, expelled from his possessions and deceased in Geneva in 1883. He bequeathed the city a huge amount of the amount of 22 million gold francs, but, provided that he was erected in memory of him and they will take care of it. The duke was an expanded libertine and dishonest man. The condition was from a series of outgoing. But millions. And the municipality could not resist the power of money. Followed by the monument to take care of this day.
Right side of the city can be called international. Here is the Palace of Nations, which was built after the First World War to accommodate the headquarters of the League of Nations, and after the Second World War there is a European department of the UN, – with a magnificent park suitable for the lake. Not far from it – the building, which flies the white flag with the Red Cross in the middle: International Red Cross. In the district – mansions of the International Labor Organization, the International Organization of Health and a number of others, representative offices of dozens of countries under the UN, including Russian. In this part, which seems somewhat famous, if this can be said about the city blocks, a lot of high-rise buildings, but the streets of the street are quite deserted, with the exception of adjacent to the largest department store "Pantan".
However, they resemble an anthill behind Bridge Mont Blanc, where the main trading area begins. Here on the main artery formed from the four moving one into another streets, almost silently walks the tram, and the broad sidewalks almost reaches the most paths. Through equal intervals – decorative cabinets: bases for lamps or huge porridges with flowers, without which the Swiss do not think at all their existence.
Probably, in the whole city, you can recalculate balconies or window sills, wherever there were pots with flowers. And although urban "bouquet" It has a great variety, prevails in it geranium having a huge amount of varieties. And it seems that the Swiss are secretly competing among themselves – who she is better. Even on the Ryu de Lausanne, the central street of the right-bank side, the lanes of the transport of transport at the city station is divided not just paint, but concrete boxes with flowers.
In addition to colors, in Geneva there is a cult of fountains and fountains, sources and decorative cranes, giving passersby moisture. They say that they are 300. And everyone is focused on the left bank, where the city was born.
Old town, pulling up a fairly steep hillside, which is separated from the coastal strip by trading artery, is mainly the construction of past centuries. Some of his streets are so cool that thanks to the steps turned into stairs. Internal courtyards "Give" Deep Stone: Decorated with colors Stone wells and cute corners with benches emit calm. Many buildings whose history goes deep in centuries. One of them is the Cathedral of St. Peter, the main Protestant temple of the city, the construction of the X-XIII centuries. In it at the time of the Reformation from 1536 to 1564, I read the preaching of Calvin himself. Near – more "slice" Stories – Calvin Audience, Shrine Protestant Church. Nearby in the park called "Promenade bastions", Opposite the buildings of the University of Geneva, in the library of which Lenin worked a lot, – a huge memorial panel of gray granite: "Wall of reformers", Calvin and his followers. Before entering the park – several chess boards drawn on asphalt. "Sit" For meter chess pieces, there are always many.
The heart of this part of Geneva is the area of Burg de Four, where the colorful parades of challenged in the lats are passing in December annually in December, armed with spears, swords and bows with arrows "Participants" Victory over the Duke of Savoy, who was trying in 1602 to master the city. Nearby – Hotel De Ville – Municipality, a large old building, in which the Pardus is leading from the courtyard to the fourth floor. Earlier "Fathers of the city" drove to the very hall of the meeting. On Mulakh. Entrance to the hotel de Ville for excursants is completely free.
Not far from shopping blocks from the building of the Museum of Natural History (by the way, very interesting) begins Avenue Malanu. In a two-story wooden house, which is listed under No. 15, there is a museum of hours, which presents instances "from Romula to this day": still working wooden, manufactured in 1700; Jean Clock Jacques Rousseau.AND. Tchaikovsky; Astronomical Watch-machine, which more than 250 years have repaired only once, every 15 minutes sings the rooster sitting on them and ring bells. Interestingly, in 1601, the Ordonance was released, prescribed to manufacture the clock only high quality and the original in terms of plan. Well, judging by the products, the Swiss masters comply with it so far. There are in the collection and the most modern hours.
About Geneva can tell a lot. Including – about the purity of the city (it suffices to say that on the sidewalks you can see the prohibitive road signs drawn on concrete, in the center of which the dog is depicted and the inscription: "I do not burn on the sidewalk"), about his beauties, parks, pretty streets, a very nice temple of the Russian Orthodox Church. But, as they say, it is better to see once than to read than many times.