Greece: Rhodes Island
Rhodes (Rodhos) – one of the most popular Greek islands. There are many reasons for this, but the main ones are the beautiful beaches of the south-east coast, a beautiful medieval capital, many castles and a wild south coast with his cape Praso (Prasonisi, Purssonissi) – one of the best windsurfing places in Europe. It is not surprising that almost the entire territory of the island is included in the UNESCO World Heritage List.
Since ancient times, Rhodes with his pleasant even climate and favorable strategic position was one of the support points of various peoples and empires. The first settlements here appeared at the dawn of civilization, and the best natural harbor of the island turned into a port before the arrival of the Phoenicians. In 408 BC. NS. Lindos unites with other Doriy Polios and Lalisos and Lalisos and becomes the first capital of Rhodes, on an equalized rival with Athens or Damascus. The island goes out of hand to hand – Macedonians, Persians, Athenians and Spartans replace each other, only after the collapse of the Roman Empire, he becomes an ordinary provincial center for many years and leaves the scene of history for a long time. Byzantines sell Rhodes to the Genoesers, those in turn – knights-hospitalries (1309 g.), I have done a lot for the construction of local cities, in 1522 Ottomans are captured, in 1912 – Italians. Only with the rest of the southern spokes of Rhodes returns Greece and since then it starts his rapid growth as a major resort center.
The capital of the island is the city of Rhodes.
If you follow the southeast of the capital, then the first stop will be in the old spa settlement Piyes Calitiaas (Piyes Kallitheas, 7 km from the city), almost completely built up in 1928-1929 for the project Pietro Lombardi – the future architect of the Strasbourg building of the European Parliament.
A little south (14 km from the capital and 10 km from the airport) begins an ultra-modern resort area Falirakion (Faliraki). This is a fashionable youth resort with a lot of bars, discos, moon park and water park. Local Beach, perhaps, is equipped with the best on the island. Sun beds are offered, umbrellas; There are restaurants and bars, as well as various water sports. Golden sand beach stretches for 4 kilometers. Here is the only on-island equipped beach for nudists.
Still south stretches quite cheap beach area NNNI, not known intense criminogenic atmosphere.
It is better to do the next stop by Cape Ladiko, where the long sandy-pebble bay begins APANDON, or Afanda (AFANDOU) – the least developed large sandy-pebble beach on the eastern shore, but almost always calm and famous for its beautiful Church of Panayia Catholics (XVI B.) with ancient frescoes. There are no rental points on the beach or other amenities that makes him a little even in high season. In the village you can find taverns and restaurants.
5 km from Afand Kolimbia (Kolymbia) – a small and young developing resort with beautiful new hotels. 4 km inside the island from Kolimbia is Place Ept-Piez ("Seven sources") – a real oasis with a tiny irrigation dam, created by Italians, as well as a rather gloomy tunnel and aqueduct leading from sources to the pool. A little further on the same road under the canopy of the dense forest lies the forgotten village Eleusa (Eleoussa), built as an agricultural colony Campoido all the same Italians in 1935-1936. From the extensive reservoir west of the village (now there is a disappearing local fish "Gizani") You can go to the last Byzantine church on the island – Ayos Nikolaos-Fundukley ("Saint Nikolay Forest Nuts") With its frescoes of the XIII-XV centuries.
Cape Tzambika (Tsambika, 26 km south of the city) offers unsurpassed panoramas from the top of their rocky coastline. From the main highway to the east, there is a steep serpentine in the mountains, to an inconspicuous ancient Monastery Tsamja (Tsamia), which is considered the last hope for childless women. Each year on September 8, a pilgrimage is held here, during which the women’s looking for motherhood go up (almost 1.5 km!) on elbows and knees. Children born after such a ritual are usually devoted to the Virgin Mary and are called the names of Tambick or Tsambikos. The small eponymous bay of the south of the Cape has an excellent secluded beach, protected from excessive development of the Orthodox Church, which is its owner. Even south stretches gravel Beach Stegna (Stegna), framed by summer houses of local residents and literally monopolized by German hotels. Slightly in the depths of the island lie ruins of the village of the village Arkhangelos (ArhangeLOS), and South – Popular in the residents of Great Britain Karayon, Or Haraki (Haraki), with castle ruins Feracklos – The last citadel of the chiplothers in Rhodes.
The main decoration of the southeast is undoubtedly the ancient city of Lindos, lying on a barren peninsula 12 km south of Haraki.
There are also two quite good shores – a cozy bay Palace (popular with nudists) around the seed of the same name and a calmer beach at 5 km north, in the bay Vlikha (Vlyha).
The covered west coast of Rhodes is more humor, fertorally and woodist, than the rest of the island, but its rocky shores are little suitable for relaxing by the sea, only at the very capital itself there are some good beaches. But these places are very popular with lovers of outdoor activities, especially windsurfingists – permanent Western winds create excellent conditions here for this type of sport, and Rockies – special entourage.
If you move from north to south from the capital, you can consistently examine the excavations of the ancient city Camelos (The plot is open from Thursday to Sunday, in the summer – from 8.00 to 18.40; In winter – from 8.30 to 15.00; 4 euros), the most impressive of the Knight’s castles of the island Castro Critinias 2 km south of the village of Scala Camiro (Skala Kamirou), the capital of local winemaking and honey – Village Sipra (Siana), as well as colorful old houses and another castle in the village Monolithos on the southwest.
The internal areas of Rhodes Harmists are still covered with dense, according to the measures of the Mediterranean, the forest. To visit these ancient places, it is best to use a rented car, since the public transport system here almost does not affect the main historical sites. From town TRANDAN (Trianda, in fact – South-West suburbs of Rhodes) on a country road just 5 km to a fairly simple acropolis of an ancient policy Lalisos (open from Thursday to Sunday from 8.30 to 14.45; 3 euros) and nearby hill Fileurima ("Lover of solitude") with his named Byzantine monastery (x in.). Ruins stretched right in front of the church walls Temples Zeus and Athens (III B. to N. NS.), plus fragments of an unidentified Phoenician shrine (VII in. to N. NS.), and partially underground Church of Aga-Eoros-Host (XIV-XV BB.) There is no analogues in the region at all.
To the southwest of this ancient cult area begins the road Via-Croquis, leading past the fourteen stations marked by copper memorial plaques, to a huge concrete crucifixion, built in 1995 instead of analogue conveyed by Italians.
Main point of attraction here – Valley Petaludes Petaloudhes, "Valley butterflies") to which you can get along the sevenkilometer country road between paradesion (Paradhision) and theologos (Theologos, or Tolo). In the summer, thousands of butterflies attracted by moisture and cool mountain valleys are going here. In many places, they cover the rocks and trunks of the trees with a dense carpet, often almost indistinguishable against the background of natural painting of the area – only running through these peculiar colonies of the wave of cherry-red colors, formed by synchronous swables of the wings of thousands of insects, create an amazing entourage. Nearby is located and a small winery Anastasia Triandafyllou, producing more than two dozen good wines.
All roads in the southwest of the island converge around a large village Emponaz (Embonas) lying on the northern slope of Atabirosar Mountains, or Ataviros (up to 1215 m). There are some good wineries and winery Emery, as well as ancient Monastery Ayos Isidore, from all sides of the vine. Running from here to the east Country road will lead to Byzantine Monastery Torde (Tari, the oldest cult facility on the island), lost in pine forests 5 km south of Laerma (Laerma). 10 km south-west of Lardos, the country road brings to the sleepy village Asklipio (Asklipio), widely known for his swear Knight’s castment and Byzantine Church of Kimisis-Teotoku (1060 g., Apxida XVIII B.) with unusual frescoes inside, as well as destroyed Basilica Meanagros 9 km from Lahania village (Lahania).
South of the line connecting Monolithos (Monolithos) and Lardos (Lardhos), stretches the whole series of modern hotels, villas, beaches and entertainment, forming an extensive resort area. The best shores here include Glystra Bay (Glystra, 3 km south of Lardos), flowering resort beach Pefko (Pefkos, PEFKI) south of Lindos, Jennadi (Yennadhi) near the town of Gennadion and the attractive sandy bay of Plylimyri (Plimyri) with its picturesque dunes and ancient Church Zoodohu-Piyis.
Most tourists are somehow trying to visit the southernmost point of Rhodes – Peninsula Prasonion. This is the place where the multicolored water of the Aegean and Mediterranean seas are found, and the European Mecca of Windsurfing and Surfing is located, where thousands of active recreation lovers flock in the season.
Bars and nightclubs are concentrated in the capital and in such popular tourist resorts as Lindos and Faliraki. In the city of Rhodes are six cinemas and casinos. In the summer there are many theatrical ideas and concerts of modern and classical music. In addition, in Rhodes is one of the largest in Greece aquariums.
Diagoras Airport on Rhodes Island Perform daily regular flights from Athens Airlines Olympic Airways and Aegean Airlines. In the summer, the airport takes a large number of charter flights; Also carry out flights to the islands of Kos, Crete, Mykonos, Santorin, and DR.
The daily ferry message connects the island with the Athens Piraeus port. As a rule, the route passes through the islands of Kalimos, Kos, Leros and Patmos. Also ferries bind Rhodes with other Isles of the Dodecanos Archipelago and Crete.
On the coast of the Aegean and the coast of the Mediterranean Sea, two roads are laid, for which two lines of municipal buses run. Tickets can be purchased from drivers. City buses run in the capital of the island. In addition, in Rhodes a lot of car rental points and scooters, there is a taxi service.