Greece: Tinos Island
Tinos Island (TINOS) lies just 2 km south of Andros and it is very similar to him both externally and by culture and traditions of local residents.
Foreign tourists attract here beautiful shores and colorful old villages, but most visitors here – Greeks, for which the island is one of the national shrines. In 1822, a local nun, now revered as Holy Pelaiya, dug out the miraculous image of the Virgin, over whom the church of Panayia-Eavandystria was erected, one of the most revered in Greece. Every year two pilgrimages are held to the walls of the temple (March 25 and 15), collecting thousands of believers.
The capital of the island is a city Tinos – Lies in the southwest shore, at the base of Cape Akrotirion. His streets are burned down from the forever busy coastline to the Neoclassical Church of Panayia-Eavanghelister (officially opened daily from 8.00 to 20.00) and literally completely built up the shops for the sale of religious items and consecrated water. Only parallel Main Street Megaloharis is relatively free from the outlets and the most religious pilgrims who are often crawling to the church on the lap the whole long path from the harbor. The miraculous icon of the Virgin, to which the massive marble staircase leads, is almost hidden by a magnificent set of jewels, candles, images and lamps. It is located below the crypt, where the image was discovered, and the necropolis of those killed on the Greek warship of ELLI, which was torpedoed by the Italian submarine on August 15, 1940 right on the anchor parking lot of the city. Side features of this more similar to the Ottoman Palace of the Church and Arches-Celi around the courtyard are given under peculiar mini-museums, whose collections are made up of donations and deposits of pilgrims, as well as paintings and sculptures of local masters.
Around the shrine it is unlikely to find something interesting, only a little away, among the rich mansions of the medieval quarter of the city, there is an archaeological museum (open from Thursday to Sunday from 8.30 to 15.00; 2 euros), the assembly of which includes charming Roman sundials from the local sanctuary of Poseidon and amphitrite, as well as many finds made on the island itself.
Southern coast of the island of the rocky and quite difficult to accessure, but it is here that are quite good beaches Ayos focas and Kioney (3 km north-west of Tinos). The latter is also widely known as the site of excavation of the ancient temple of Poseidon and amphitrite (open from Thursday to Sunday from 8.30 to 15.00; Login free), which was discovered in 1902. Now there are several rows of columns (Kionia in Greek, from where and the name of the place), the foundations of the temple, the term, fountain and hostels for pilgrims. Konia Beach himself is quite well maintained and equipped, but you can travel from it a little bit to the north and relax among the whole range of desert sandy bays.
North Tinos is much more interesting and has a whole set of historical monuments and culture. Immediately behind the Church of Panayia-Eutangelistria (and a little left), the stone staircase begins, which can be climbed into the mountains and pass almost 4 km through an attractive countryside towards a beautiful village Klotos (Ktikadhos), literally all the grape vines. A little below lies the church of the Ipanandans, from the walls of which the unique panoramas of the capital of the island and the Bay of Stavros are opening.
In general, the intermountain brand between the peaks of Pnakoto (505 m), Cinnias (725 m) and Dio-Choria (603 m) almost completely built up with small villages and dozens of monasteries. It is not surprising that even the northeast village of the basin is called Monastyriya, although there is a lot of cult places beyond. And ring villages around a single mountain Exoburgo (Ksomburgo, 640 m) so and is generally considered one of the tourist centers of Tinos. The fortified turret of the ancient city-fortress with the ruins of the three Venetian churches and fountains towers at an altitude of 570 meters above the village of Xinar, for 1350 years, which was a residence of the Roman Catholic Bishop of the island. A little east is the same ancient monastery of Irase Cardias ("Sacred Heart"), and north – Women’s Monastery of Ursulinka in Loutre and a good museum of folk art in the old Jesuit monastery.
From the village of Crocos (1 km to the northwest of Lutra), you can stroll through the slopes of the Sklados to the tiny village Volavax (Volax), one of the most distant on the island. The oasis unprotected from the wind, surrounded by giant granite boulders, is famous for its masters-baskets, a small folklore museum (free) and as small open theater Fontaine, which every August accepts participants of the Greek Theater Festival. In the reed valley of Katuri, lying outside the basin, you can relax on the magnificent double beach of Kolimvitra, one part of which Dick and is not protected from the wind, but it serves as a guy of a big colony of pink flamingos (in May), and the other covered with winds by rocky capes and has several excellent taverns.
And if you get a little more on the road to the north-west, you can see several ancient monasteries and Venetian towers near Tarambados, giant boulders and an ancient Tower of Cardiani village (Kardhiani, 17 km from Tilos), Schinaki Beaches, Aspros-Yulos and Ormos-Easternion near the village of the same name.
This road ends in a beautiful village Pyrgos (Pyrgos, 2.5 km from Eastrinia), famous for the whole country with Kamneze Masters – Local marble products decorate buildings, churches and cemeteries of any city of Greece. Now there are a unique school of arts and a few pompous art museum of Tinos (open daily from 10.30 to 13.30 and from 17.30 to 19.00; 5 Euro), in which the works of the best masters of the island are collected. Nearby Open House-Museum Yanulisa Halepas (Schedule the same as the artistic museum, the ticket is also one), dedicated to the exceptionally works of this famous local artist and sculptor.