Gyur (Győr)

Gyor (GY&# 337; R) – City in North-West Hungary, 123 km from Budapest and 121 km from Vienna. Population – 127 594 people (2005).

Rich history and magnificent architecture of the historic center of the city – the main attractions of the tourist Diere.

Settlement in place of the city existed with deep antiquity. In the V century BC. NS. There was a Celtic settlement, in the Roman period it turned into a fortified city, known as Arabonna. Abbreviated version of the name of Arabonna – Raab or Rab – gave the modern name of the city in German and Slovak languages.

Approximately the IV century, the Roman fortress successfully reflected raids of barbarians, however, with a decline of the empire, it was gradually abandoned. In the V century, after a brief period of the domination of the Slavs and Lombards, the lands around Raab were conquered by Avara. After the defeat of Avar, the troops of Charles Great at the beginning of the IX century Raab was controlled by the Power of Franks and a short time (880-894.) Great Moravia.

In 900, after the invasion of the Danube Hungarians began the Hungarian period of the city history. Hungarians restored a dilapidated fortress at the mouth of the slaves, a significant city has grown around. In the time of the Ishthan of the Holy City became a bishop residence and began to wear the name Gyor.

In 1242, Gyor was subjected to a mahedral of the Mongols, and in 1271 – the attack of the Czech army. During the Turkish invasion at Hungary in the XVI century, the city was occupied by the Turks in 1594 for a short time, but in 1598 he passed under the control of the Hungarian and Austrian armies. In 1683, the city again survived the Turkish siege, which was removed after the defeat of the Turks in the battle under Vienna.

The XVIII century was the heyday time for the Diere, many churches and palaces were built in the city, mainly in the Baroque style, in 1743 he received the status of a free royal city.

At the beginning of the XIX century, the city became the arena of battles during the Napoleonic Wars. On June 14, 1809, the French army under the command of Evgenia Bogarna inflicted the defeat of the Austrian Army under the leadership of Ezmanzoga John. The battle entered the story as a battle for Raabe. After the battle, the French destroyed the fortress fortifications of the city.

During World War II, the historical buildings of the Diere were pronounced quite large damage. After the war, the historical center of Diere was completely restored.

Gyur (Győr)

Historic center Diere – represents a well-retained monument to urban planning of the XVIII century. Many beautiful churches, palaces and buildings serve as an example of the Austrian baroque. A distinctive feature of the Gyorsk architecture is a large number of closed balconies of the most diverse form, because of what the Gyor nicknamed «City of balconies».

Cathedral – Located on the Koatalan hill, in the most ancient Diere. The first cathedral at this place was built in the XI century in the Romanesque style, but was destroyed by the Turks. Modern baroque building built at the beginning of the XVIII century. On the square south of the cathedral, the figure of Arkhangel Mikhail with a sword was installed.

Episcopal Castle – Located in the very center of the former fortress on the hill Captalan. Built in 1575, rebuilt in 1783.

Church of Carmelitov – stands on the shore slaves south of the fortress hill. Built in 1725, a Loretansky chapel with a revered statue of the Virgin Mary was attached to the Church.

Senter Square (SZéChenyi T&# 233; R) – Central Square of the Old Town, surrounded by magnificent baroque buildings. The most noteworthy Church of Jesuits (1641), the House of Abbat, the house of your home, the building of the Old Town Hall; and also standing in the center of the post area with the statue of the Virgin Mary.

Gyur (Győr)

You might also enjoy:

Leave A Comment

Your email address will not be published.

*

code