Kyustendil (Kyustendil) – Balneological resort in the southwest of Bulgaria, located at an altitude of 513 m at the northeastern slopes of the Sovaria Mountains, 85 km from Sofia, near the border with Serbia (30 km) and Macedonia (23 km). Population – 50,342 people (2010).
Kyustendil is one of the oldest cities in Bulgaria.
One of the most valuable wealth of the city is mineral water. The resort is located 40 mineral springs with water temperature to 76 °C. In the composition of water weakly mineralized, contain fluorine, silicon, sulphides, trace elements: lithium, germanium, tungsten, arsenic, etc.
Not far from Kyustendil are large deposits of valuable medical peat (Kyustendilsko deposits), rich in biologically active substances, estrogen hormones, etc.
Therapeutic resort centers specialize in diseases of the musculoskeletal system, nervous system, respiratory organs and gynecological diseases.
Fertile soils and warm mineral springs were attracted here Thracian tribes, founded here in the V-IV century BC. NS. village. In the first century, the Romans turned it into an important fortress, a shopping center and a hydrotherapy resort, calling the city of Puttalia. In the IV century, a fortress was built on the city hill of Hisarlylka, which was reused during the Board of the Byzantine Emperor Justinian I.
After 553, the name of Pautalia is not found. In 1019, in the literacy of the Byzantine Emperor Vasily II, the city is mentioned under the name Vobbyzh, probably in honor of some local leader. Near Vobrebbed in 1330, the battle of Bulgarians and Serbs occurred, as a result of which Bulgarians were defeated.
The city was attached to the Bulgarian state during the reign of King Kaloyan. From 1379 to 1395, his feudal domain was boyar Konstantin Dragash, in whose honor the city was later renamed Kyustendil, or the land of Constantine.
The city became part of Ottoman possessions in 1395. Mass colonization began in the middle of the XV century. At the end of Ottoman rule and especially after liberation, the ethnic composition of the population has changed due to numerous migrants from land, still busy by the Turks.
In the era of the Bulgarian National Revival, the city quickly developed and expanded. The first school was opened at the church in 1821., First Library in 1869.
From the middle of the XIX century, residents of the city began to actively participate in the liberation struggle against the Turks. In the mountains operated troops of the militia under the leadership of Ilya Governor and Rumen of the Governor (one of the few warriors in Bulgarian history). Kyustendil was released by Russian troops on January 29, 1878. After release, some of the crafts associated with the Turkish market came to decline. The production of tobacco and balneological business continued to develop.
– Diseases of the musculoskeletal system
– Diseases of the joints of the degenerative and inflammatory nature
– Diseases of the peripheral nervous system
– Functional disorders of the nervous system
– Respiratory diseases
– Violations of metabolism
– Skin diseases (neurodermatitis, psoriasis)
– Conditions after thermal lesions of the skin (or skin plastic)
Mineral waters are mainly used for baths, swimming pools, drinking treatment.
Along with balneotherapeutic procedures, the resort is widely used by the mud of local muds, special methods of kinesitherapy, a full range of hardware physiotherapy, medical massage and diet-andotherapy, inhalation, irrigation, electricity and freeze, paraffin, reflexology and T.D.
Art Gallery named after. Vladimir Dimitrova Maistra – Here you can see a rich collection of Maistor’s works (over 200 cloths), as well as works of other artists who lived in the city or in its surroundings.
City Historical Museum – founded in 1897. Each of his departments is placed in different cultural and historical monuments: the archaeological department – in the building of the mosque built in 1575. Department “The Epoch of the Bulgarian National Renaissance and the National Liberation Fight” – In the house of Ilya Voevod, and the Ethnographic Department and "Development after Liberation" – in the Egnigegiev House.
Roman term – One of the oldest buildings of the city. This is a Roman hydroelectrician and the temple of the god of Medicine Asclepia, built in the II-III centuries. N.NS. All building occupied area of 3,500 m2. During the excavations, premises were disclosed with a heating system, water channels, architectural fragments, etc.
South of the city on the ramifications of the Mountains, spread Hisarlyca Park. Among the beautiful pine boron planted at the end of the XIX and early twentieth centuries., There are remnants of an ancient fortress.
13 km to the south-east, the village of Nesusino. Here you can see one of the largest engineering and construction facilities of the XV century – Nepusin Bridge (Kadin Bridge). He was on the old and important in the past road Istanbul – Plovdiv – Samokov – Kyustendil – Skopje.
The city and its surroundings are known as Bulgarian Fruit Garden – Cherries, Plums, Apples, and DR are most grown.