Legends of the church of clean water
Magnificent Heian, over time, who changed his glorious name on Kyoto, left the descendants a rich heritage – palaces, temples, villas, gardens. All of the masterpieces of ancient and medieval Japan, which turned this city to the world treasury, is impossible to list. But it is likely that any list of local attractions begins with the mention of the Buddhist Temple of Kiyimidzudera, in 1994 included in the UNESCO World Heritage List. It is not only a matter of architectural advantages of this structure, but also in its cultural meaning for the whole country, in general, the balls of myths and legends, as if entangling this temple of the mysterious and beautiful aura.
In the old days, when the capital of the country was still located in Nare (710-794), the local clergyman – Entina – was a vision. One of the Holy Buddhist Pantheon sent this monk to search for a Spring of pure water serving the source for the Yidogawa River. The obedient monk got to the mouth of this river, and then began to climb upstream, overcoming the gorge and mountains. After many searches, Entin came across in the deaf forest at the foot of Mount Ovova on the waterfall, which is like a cloud of silver water dust. Nearby he discovered a small hut in which Human Passion Human Passion-Asket Guei. The hermit gave a piece of wood to the wandering a piece of wood, in which, according to him, the Spirit of Cannon Bosacu – Bodhisattva, which is for Japanese Buddhists by the incarnation of the goddess of mercy. Entin shortly thinking processed a gem gift with a knife to give him the features of the eleven Cannon, and immediately made a sculpture under the roof of the hermit hut, arranged there altar there. And when it came out of the hut, turned into a temple turned into a temple, then the master did not see this. That just disappeared. Only a few days later, rummaged to the top of the Mountain, Ozova, Entin discovered shabby hermit sandals. Entin realized that Göei’s mouth was told by the goddess Cannon. Although it is possible that the old hermit just disappeared away from the new, noisy and unceremonious neighbor in more often.
What would the fate of the newly new temple, it is difficult to say. But in the case again the providence intervened. On the clearing in front of the temple once left the forest warrior in rich clothes. It was Tamuramaro Sakanowe, one of the favorite commander of the emperor. Tamuramaro’s wife was going to give birth, and the warrior went hunting, because it was believed that the blood-deer blood is the best tool to reduce pain in childbirth. Entin complained of a warrior on superstition, because the murder of animals was considered a mortal sin from Buddhists. He was so eloquent that the commander was embarrassed, repent and even promised to help in the construction of a proper temple on the place of the new shrine at the source. (Hence the name of the temple – Kiyimidzudera or Saysuyji with a friend reading the same hieroglyphs – the church of clean water.)
So soon and happened. In 794, Emperor Kamma suffered his capital to Heian (Kyoto), and the old throne hall in Nare presented her favorite Tamuramaro Sakanoue. Being a promise, this enthina, and that the wife thanks to the patronage of Cannon was safely resolved from the burden, the commander ordered to take construction materials obtained during the disassembly of the throne room, to the foot of the Mountain of Ovova, where a new magnificent temple building was built three years later. It stood until 1629, until it was destroyed by fire.
Honestly, there was little chances of preserved in pristine form. The territory of the country often shocked the destructive earthquakes, the fortress of the walls were tesifunas and the landslide generated by them. In addition, during the Middle Ages, the country was blunted in bloody crossburses. Cities were subjected to frequent robbers, neighbors, and the monastic detachments, who fought with each other for the purity of faith. The church of clean water once counted the stronghold of heresy, and it was burned.
Damage was great. But the mighty ruler of Japan Iamitsa, the third sogun from the Tokugawa dynasty, assisted in the restoration of the burned sanctuary, which was transferred to the Buddhist sect of HosSo. Repair work began in 1631, and after two years, the temple in the updated form again adopted Bogomolev. Since then, Kiyimidzudera expanded his possessions at the expense of new attacks and now represents a complex architectural complex, consisting of three dozen structures spread on the area of 130 thousand. kv. M.
To deal with the inner structure of the temple, and at the same time, and learn about the beliefs associated with it, let’s mentally go through its possessions. The road leading to the chief goal of the temple, climbs up a steep slope. It is clamped with endless rows of souvenir shops on both sides. On the left you can see the old building of the stable, where the noble pilgrims left their horses, going on the Bogomol to the eleventh cannon. Now we need to enter the door of Nemon, guarded by the sculptures of the Terrible Kings of Deva. Structuring with all their groteskosyness is very natural, so they can guess the sounds pronounced by king. The right king clearly speaks "a", left – "un". This is the first and last letters of the Sanskrit alphabet. Therefore, it can be assumed that the kings of the guards seek to convey the teachings of the Buddha incoming everything without withdrawing.
Another breakage of steps leads visitors to Simon – Western goal, built in the XVII century. They are also guarded by the kings of Deva. To the left of the gate rushes Siro – the bell tower, built in 1596, although the bell for her was cast in 1478. On the building you can see the coat of arms – the flower of chrysanthemum, – evidence that the temple is in the sphere of interests and care of the Imperial House.
Immediately at the Western Gate, the three-tier Pagoda Sandyu-but is the highest of themselves similar in Japan. A film painted in a bright red color, it stands out on a common dim-brown background of other structures (wood cryptomeries over time, under the influence of weather conditions, it becomes just such a tint). The bright red colors of Buddhist temples was perceived by the Chinese, who loved to cover their creations by Cynicar.
Behind the Pagoda, Ködo is erected – Sutra Hall. Sacred scrolls and books are stored there. Inside the building is decorated with images of Mondzu, Buddhist God Virtue and Fougain, God Wisdom. Dragon rolled on the ceiling. Next in a number of temple buildings Kanisando – the founding room (temple). Here are the figures of Hyoea’s hermit, Monk Entin, Commander Tamuramaro and his wife Takaco.
Next again, you need to go under the Seni of the next gate guarded by the kings. This is Todorokimon – the gate, echo, responding to the teachings of the Buddha. Before passing into the gate, you should wash your hands with water that flies into the pool of the crane in the form of a dragon head. And on the basis of the pool depicted owl. Accordingly, the source is called civic water.
To the left of the source – the Hall of Akakurado. It was built on the money of Akakura Sadakaga (1473-1512), the son of Emperor Tamma. Inside the hall – sculptures eleven cannon, god of prosperity biamontain and heavenly defender of children – Dzizo. And nearby – the prints of the feet of the Buddha (in antiquity, the believers did not sculpt the sculptures of Buddha and Bodhisattva, then it was enough to portray the prints of the Buddha feet as a convincing reminder of his path). It is believed that it is enough to look at this image to cleanse from all sins.
And finally – the chief hall of the temple – Hondo, originally built from logs donated by the commander Tamuramaro Sakanowe, and in 1633 restored in the same form. This building is in the style of ancient Heian. Inside – Altar, decorated with drawings made on the money of the temple restorers. There and the image of the goddess Cannon carved. However, it is not possible to see it most often. The servants of the temple opens the sacred image with praying once every 33 years (by the number of vows of salvation of humanity, the goddess of these). The last time Lick Cannon was opened in 1977. Next time will come only in 2010.
An open platform is attached to the main hall. This is Buta, the dance platform (naturally, it is not about holding a disco on it, but about solemn dance ceremonies conducted by clergy in the days of temple holidays). However, holidays, like dances, are rare here, so in all other days limited by railings "veranda" serves as a magnificent viewing area, offering a breathtaking view of the old Kyoto. It is not surprising that most often here it sounds not religious music, but merging into a solid machine-gun-mover queue of clutches of cameras. Nowhere in Kyoto does not have such a density of photographers per square meter, as at the Kiyimidzudera court. Especially in the fall, when the first frosts paint the greens of the surrounding forest in Ohru and the Bagryman.
This site hanging at an altitude of 13 m above the steep slope of the mountain, for a long time there was another curious purpose. Old idiom Kiyimizu-butti Kara Toboriru (jump from the Kiyimidzuder temple site) for the Japanese means "Make a decisive step". Such a jump is deadly dangerous. But the remaining alive will be supposedly guaranteed to fulfill desires. Over the years of EDO (1603- 1868) from the platform dived down 234 people. 200 of them (85.5%) survived. Obviously, people saved rich vegetation, which covered the slope of the mountain and springing under the weight of the tipped down body. On the facts of execution of desires of statistics is not available. Now we have fate thus prohibited.
In the center of the temple complex – another surprise. From a long time, there, as if inserted into the Buddhist frame, there is a Shinto temple Jesu Dzinzya. His heavenly patroness – Goddess of Love and Successful marriages of the Okuninusi – but Mikoto. The temple is always full of family happiness with Japanese. Visiting the temple, it is easy to understand what awaits you in the future. There are two entrances "Stone Love", 18 meters separated. We just need to go from one stone to another, closing my eyes. Who succeeds, can count on a happy marriage. But no, so no. Friend or Favorite have the right to correct the direction of the girl’s movement in words, but in this case, a successful marriage can be only with the assistance of the skillful swatch.
Below on the slope was built by the Hall of Syakado, where the buddha sculpture reigns, squeezing on the Golden Lotus Flower. Nearby – a small structure in which 180 Figuruts of Dzizo, patron and defender of children are accommodated. It is believed that a person who managed to see in one of the faces of these little figures features the face of his sick child, can be sure: Favorite Chado will recover.
And finally, the path leads to Okunoin – the inner temple. This is the same Hyoea’s hermit hut with which everything started. Further, on the way to exit, visitors of the temple go to the pool, in which the Waterfall of Dovova will be launched. Falling down the jet of water are divided into three streams, from which moisture can be drawn by wooden cups fortified on long bamboo poles. "Pure water" The temple is considered healing. Therefore, rarely, who refuses to come from one or another mug. Water from one stream brings health from another – longevity, from the third – success in life. You can choose. The most prudent pouring to the top marked flasks and bottles, filling them with a mixture of three threads.
To secure good luck, can be purchased in the communal stall Ourikuji – the prediction of fate written on a piece of paper. In order for the gods, they did not forget about their promise to assist and support, Ourikuzi must be attached to the branch of the village or specially stretched for this in the courtyard of the Wire Temple, that is, directly in front of the heavenly patrons. And then in complete confidence from the correctness of the made returned home.