Guide to Cyprus.District Limassol
Beach at the hotels "Amathous Beach", "Le Meridien" and other hotels for a fee can be used and citizens who do not live in them (most often these are excellent sandy beaches just with a pair-triple cobblestones). The beach of the Cyprus organization on tourism (cat, or CTO) in Dasudi (Dassoudi) in the east of the city is perfectly planned, equipped with tennis and volleyball courts and playgrounds for children. There is a lot of space in the shade of drink, and the water is quite clean.
- Amatus Beach (Amathous)
Amatus (Amathous) begins 11 km east of Limassol, behind Limonia Bay Hotel hotels. At the shore you can see how the walls of the Ancient Nizhny city appear under the surface of the water.
- Lady’s Mile Beach Beach
Lady’s Mile Beach South Limassol on Akrotiri Peninsula (Akrotíri) is a long sand sand strip near the British military base. His name he owes the name of the favorite mare of a certain British officer, who constantly went here to the Hinda walks.
The monks that came to Cyprus on the command of the emperor Konstantin Great, in 325 they founded the monastery of St. Nicholas "Cat" . He received his name from cats, who launched here Konstantin, Holy Elena to defeat snakes, the true scourge of these places. Stone construction XIII-XV centuries. It was abandoned shortly after 1570, when Turkish domination began. Lost Salty Lake serves as a place of rest for flight birds: in winter there is up to 11,000 flamingos. On the nature of these places, the Akrotiri Environmental Information Center (Akrotíri Environmental Information Center) in the village of Akrotiri, where with optics you can see the flamingo perfectly.
On the Cape Cape (Cape Gata) is now impossible, as it is in the British Forbidden Area.
- Fortress * Colossi (Kolóssi)
In the fortress * Colossi (Kolóssi), 9 km west of Limassol, the command of the small troops of Knights-Johnitis was once located. This is one of the most beautiful buildings of the Lusignan era. After the fall of the last crossroads of the Crusaders in Palestine, the Order for a while found a shelter in Cyprus, and then in 1309 he moved to Rhodes. To strengthen your influence, Lusignans left behind the Order Land and 60 villages in the district of Limassol. Their residents should have grown for knights sugar cane and grapes. Cane sugar was evaporated in the workshop near the fortress, and the wine knights were exported under Commandaria. Some wine farms in Cyprus have now set up its production again, and they drink it as aperitif or dessert wine.
Erimi, composure and episcopes and museums
On the edge of the village Erimi (Erími), exactly to the north-west of Colossi, is the private museum of Cyprus Wine (Cyprus Wine Museum). Clear signs on the road. In a small, modern decorated exposure, documents and short multimedia rollers talk about the history and modern state of viticulture on the island. In the courtyard and in the Great Tasting Hall all Cypriot Wines are presented. Some can be tried, and more than 100 different varieties are offered for sale.
Immediately at the next bridge there is a fork where the road to Canda begins (Kandoú) . Since 1974, refugees from Northern Cyprus live there. In the north-west direction, the sign indicates the road to Sotiru (Sotíra) . From the site of excavation of the Neolithic settlement lying on the Teppes Hill (Teppes) with a height of 322 m, the fabulous panorama of the sea and the mountains of Troodos opens. This place is so profitable located and abundantly supplied with water from two sources, always attracted settlers. Judging by the foundations of housing, rectangular or oval in the plan and consisting of one room, it can be assumed that they had a flat roof, round round hearth and benches inside.
Sightseeing excursion-ancient ruins of Cyprus
- In a wonderful place above the sea, the ruins of the early Christian basilica of the V century (Kurion).
In the lobby of visitors welcomes the inscription laid out in the mosaic floor, which says: "Enjoy and bring happiness to this house". In the center of the house there is a wonderful mosaic with four plots, of which there is a particularly good scene with birds and fish. The most famous from other Mosaic presented here is Ktisis ("Creation") in the form of a strict woman with a measure, the length of which corresponds to the Roman elbow.
Located near the theater, built at the end of the II century BC. NS. From heavy limestone blocks in the Hellenistic style, today is used for the summer festival of Shakespeare and for other ideas. His Orhestra (scenic place) was round. Classic tragedies of Euripid and Sophoclas or Comedy Aristorofan were put on a small raised scene. The audience was sitting in a diverging fan of the audience and ate performances of actors in masks and choru.
Troodos, Agros-Tourist Ride on Limassol
If you go through the Limassol viewing road to the north, the first interesting place will be Calokhorio (Kalokhorio). Local Church of St. George (Áyios Yeoryios) is notable for its frescoes.
Zoopiyi (Zoopiyí), which lies further to the north, is famous for its soft dessert wine Commandaria with a slight nut flavor, which can be used here.
Agross (Agrós), Drawn by a semicircle on terraces at a height of more than 100 m, is considered the center of all pizilia and has a better hotel in the district – "Rodon". Roses grow around it, from the petals of which in the spring make pink water. Agros is also known for its meat products: a special variety of smoked Korean (Lundza), cold smoked ham (chiomeri) and spicy rustic sausages (Lukanic). In the village church Panayia Eleusa (Panayi Eleoussa) (XIX in.) The icon of the Virgin Mary, which, as they say, drew the evangelist of Luca himself.
Troodos (Tróodos)– The most high-mountain resort village in Cyprus (height 1725 m). It is popular both in winter among skiers and holidaymakers in the summer. There is a lift on Olimpa’s slope (1952 m), mountain huts for skiers and ski rental. In addition, in the vicinity of many and pleasure routes.
From Troodos in places affecting his wild beauty, with mighty pines and poplars, a winding road rises to the Trooditissa Monastery (Tróoditissa). His main church was erected in 1731 on the foundation of the construction of the XIII century. Interior decoration with walnut thread seems quite provincial. The miraculous icon of the Virgin Mary in the later time was concluded in the salary of gold and silver. Only Orthodox Christians allow the monastery. Tourists do not like here.
Caledonian trail-ecological route Limassol
The most beautiful hiking in the district of Limassol can be taken from Troodos, especially in summer, when you want to enjoy the cool of the mountain region.
One of the detailed marked ecological routes is unusually beautiful * Caledonian trail with a length of almost 4 km, which is also called the "nightingale road". It follows along the river bed Kryos (Kryos), not drying all year round. The shady road is not difficult, but still it is better to wear good tourist boots with a relief sole, as it will have to go through the channel.
You need to start a hike approximately 1000 m south (below) Troodoza on the road leading to Platres (plátres), following the Caledonia Trail 500 M road sign. The trail itself begins at a wooden arched gate. She leads through a high forest to picnic parking at a magnificent waterfall of Caledonia (19) – the only waterfall in Cyprus, which is really worth seeing. Further from here you can go (either by Caledonian trail, or, more comfortable, on the forest path) to the Forelevival farming Psilo Dendro near the village of Pano Platres.
Reference section: Restaurants, Attractions
Cyprus Organization for Tourism, Spyrou Aruzou St. 115A, tel. 2536 2756, and George St. 35, Potamos Tis Germasogeas, bodies. 2532 3211.
Restaurants and discos
Blue Island, 3 Amathountos Ave., At the old road from Limassol to Nicosia, bodies. 2532 1466. Popular restaurant with good cuisine. Ladas, Sadi St. 1, tel. 2536 5760, at the entrance to the old harbor. Simple rustic furnishings with trim from wild stone and cane roof, good mezedes, inexpensive fish and seafood, especially sword fish and lobsters. Il Posto, a modern cafe-restaurant near the post, which is attractive to the youth public near his musical hits and filmlastics. Often there is crowded. Churchill Limassol, 28th October St., Áyios athanasios St., tel. 2532 4444, French cuisine.
Maharaja Indian Restaurant, Corner Rigas Phereos and Grivas Dighenis St., tel. 2537 6451. Good Indian cuisine, dishes for the most very sharp.
Porta, Yenethliou Mitella 17, tel. 2536 0339. Good kitchen, guitar music, sometimes folk dances. Vassilikos, iay. Andreas St. 252, tel. 2537 5972, Mon-Fri from 20 h. Greek live music, roof garden. Barolo, Áy. Andreas St. 248, tel. 2576 0767, Mon-Sat from 19 h. Considered the best and most prestigious restaurant in the city.
Arkhontissa, Makarios Ave. 103, tel. 2533 7788, pleasant atmosphere. Basement, Disco in the center of Pótamos Germasógeias. The public is mostly local, stylishly dressed. Pogmes, Áy. Andreas St., Pleasant Bar with Piano, Furnishing As in Vienna Coffee Shop. Folia Tou Koukou, Agiou Andreou St. 228. Ancient beer furnished by many antique things. Frequently playing street musicians, put in a circle hat during execution. STO PERAMA, GENETHIU MITELLA ST., between the fortress and the church of Ayia Napa. Cozy tavern with Greek-Cypriot live music. Interestingly to look here during the carnival, as Cantadori meets here (street musicians and actors).
Work and schedule of museums in Limassol
If there are no other information, then museums work on the summer schedule from June to September, in the winter – from October to May.
District Archaeological Museum, BYRON ST., W, cf, Fri 8-15, Thu 8-17.
Ethnographical museum, Áy. Andreou St. 253, Mon, Wed and Fri 8.30-13 and 16-18.30, W, Thu and Sat 8-12.30, in winter in the afternoon 15-17.thirty. Limassol Fortress, between AY. Thekla and Ankara St., tel. 2533 0419. It is the Museum of the Middle Ages, WT-Sat 9-17, Sun 10-13. City Art Gallery, Tel. 2534 3212, Permanent and replaceable exhibitions, in summer Mon-Sat 8.30-13, Mon-Wed and PTs also 16-18, in the winter Mon-Sat 8.30-12.thirty. Akrotiri Environmental Information Center (Akrotiri Environmental Information Center), daily 8.30-15.
Museum of Cypriot Wine, ERIMI-EPISKOPI ROAD, DAILY 9-17, on holidays is closed. Colossi Fortress, 8 km west of Limassol, daily 9-17 (from June to September to 19.thirty). Kurion, Place of excavations 2 km west of Limassol on the road to Paphos. You can get from Limassol on a taxi route or bus from stop before the fortress. Kurion Museum, in the House of George McFadden House in Epic, north of Kurion, Mon-Sat 8-14. Bus number 16, going to Kurion, also stops in episk. Amatus, Kurion and the sanctuary of Apollo Hilaes, in the summer daily 9-19.thirty
Kurion, Place of excavations 2 km west of Limassol on the road to Paphos. You can get from Limassol on a taxi route or bus from stop before the fortress. Kurion Museum, in the House of George McFadden House in Epic, north of Kurion, Mon-Sat 8-14. Bus number 16, going to Kurion, also stops in episk. Amatus, Kurion and the sanctuary of Apollo Hilaes, in the summer daily 9-19.30, the rest of the time 8-17.
- Beginning of February:
- Ski competitions on the slopes of Mount Olympus, Troodos. Certificates in the Federation of Skiing Cyprus (Cyprus Ski Federation), bodies. 2236 5340, Fax 2244 8777.9th and 8th week before Easter: Apokris, Street carnival, starting from the last Thursday before the post.
Antestrian, Flower holiday at Lanition Stadium.
- The first half of June:
Open-air festival with music, dancing, performances, sports competitions and events for annually changing topics.
- End of June:
Shakespeare Festival in the Curion Theater.
- July and August:
Ancient Greek Drama Festival (Ancient Greek Drama Festival) in the Curion Theater.
- End of August:
Ermasoyas Festival at Potamos Yermasoyias Hotel District (Potamos Germasógeias), with music, dancing and theatrical ideas.
- Beginning of September:
Wine holiday in Limassol City Gardens.
Hospital: LIMASSOL HOSPITAL, TEL. 2533 0356.
Head Post Office, Arch. Kyprianou St., In the afternoon and for postage to demand: Gladstone ST. 1, tel. 2533 0143.
Main shopping streets: Odos Ayiou Andreou (Áy. Andreas St.) and Odos Anxartisias. Cyprus Handicraft Service, Odos Kosma Lysioti 6, traditional art craft. Skaravaos, Odos Ayiiou andreou 236, modern and original applied art, mainly products from ceramics and glass. The local tailors with their own shops, which are many, are famous for fast and high-quality work. Fashionable leather jackets and bags are also shown by hand.
Cypriot tourism organization at the main square Pano Platres, bodies. 2542 1316. Works from April to October.
Psilo dendro, Large forest restaurant on the eastern outskirts, next to him Forewater. Open only day until 16 o’clock, except August, bodies. 2542 1350. Kalidonia, on the street over the rustic square. Good family institution with a rich selection of typical Cypriot dishes. Especially recommended to try Musaka and Trout. Platres Tavern Grillhouse, on top rustic street. A simple restaurant with good grilled dishes, tables on the long terrace or in a grape gazebo. It works only in the summer.
Pick up, inexpensive tours will help you operators:
For example, my car rental offers its customers cars of various classes on favorable conditions. All cars provided are in excellent condition. If you are traveling with children, if you are traveling with children, in addition to the car rental, you can request a booster, a children’s chair and even cradle.