Regions of Greece: Pelion
The east of the hair begins the green slopes of ancient pelica (peelion or saw) – extended, albeit low mountain range, forming the peninsula Magnicia. These embedded apple herds and dense forests from beech, walnut and oak slopes overlook the coast of the Aegean Sea, and to the Phaciticos Bay, which forms a special microclimate here. In the summer, the temperature here is always 3-5 ° C colder than on the formalist plains, and numerous sources give the start of the aqueducts stretching to cozy villages, most of which have long turned into resorts. Interestingly, in contrast to most compact plain villages of Fessels, the local spread quite abolished – the abundance of water and coolness allow them to give their residents to pay much more attention. Even churches here are not like on "mainland", – Low but wide, often with a separate bell tower and marble apse. Interestingly, but the kitchen here is somewhat different from the rest of the country – besides ordinary Greek dishes here you can try to be considered very ancient "SEPSOFAI" (Something like sausages with pepper or mint) and "Guide-le-monoti" (stewed goat in sauce), "cycirala" (salty sea dill) and, of course, excellent local honey.
In the northern part of the peninsula, on the road from the Volos, it is worth viewing the village Anakasaya (IOLKOS) with an excellent painter museum "naive" Teoflos Schools (1873-1934.), tiny Byzantine chapel (1273 g.) and the Venetian Palace Belle Epoque Hotel (1220 g.) v Portart, Founded by the Crusaders of the IV Crusader six churches, a monastery and mansions in Maccornice, as well as visit a small ski resort Agriolefkes (two lifts and three tracks running down from a height of 1473 m). Also worth walking on a whole network of mountain trails laid out by stones even in time immemorial times and running from the village to the village, from the monastery to the church. All of them are now carefully restored, so the walking on them does not represent much difficulty, and the opening panoramas quite justify the efforts spent.
The northeast coast of Pelion is almost ruling on the resorts. The capital of the region is the ancient town Zagora (Zagora), picturesquely running up the slopes of the Mountain of Lefko-Kotronic (738 m). Since his apples, this town sincerely was famous for his apples, and now this is the main source of its income (which, however, has already led to a noticeable soil depletion), and the main historical monuments are considered four well-preserved old quarters with beautiful neoclassical mansions, lined around Ayia Paraskevi areas, Ayia Kyriaki, Ayios Yeoryios and Metamorfosis (Sotira) and stretching more than 5 km.
Then the road seems to be breaking through the mountains, leaving the Aegean sea and a whole string of small resort villages – Elice, Khaeffon (Hornefo), Ovrios, Veneto, Puri, Analysis and others. There are still no real roads along these shores, so the movement is carried out either on the boats, or by car in the mountains – from the chairs in Kalamakion and then south. The main road takes place on a decent distance from the shore, so it is often a way to the sea turns into a small adventure. And just 1 km west of the main road, in the shadow of the beeches and planes, literally hides the village Kisos (Kissos), whose living quarters terraces rise across the slopes of Mount Agriolefkes (1471 m) to the church of Ayia Marina (XVIII in.), which is considered one of the most beautiful in the formation.
The town of Ayos-Joanis was still half a century ago was just a port and boat workshops for lying 2 km above the slope of Ayos Dimitrim (sawing), but now it is the main resort on the eastern shore of the peninsula. South narrow serpentine road brings to the coastal village of Damukhari with its picturesque Venetian castle and a tiny old port. South in the mountains lies Tsangrad – the second largest village in the region after Zagora. A little north is a more secluded beach Fakist (Fakistra) to which the easiest way to go from Damukhari. The local places are most reminiscent of the Crimea in the area of Castropol or Mukhalates, but even more wild and difficult to access.
Southeast of the Malopotamos River there are two attractive shores – Limnionas (Limnionas) and Lambina (Lambinou), to which you can get either on foot along the shore, or through the above side of the village Lambin. The decoration of these places is the carefully restored Monastery of Lapidon (XVIII in.) with beautiful frescoes, but there is practically no tourist infrastructure.
The areas lying on the Western slopes of the area are noticeably landed than the east, and therefore they differ in their appearance – instead of beech and plane fees, the slopes are covered with olives and strawberry trees. The decorations of these places include a large village Milee (Milies, Mileai) with the beautiful Church of Taxiaris (XVIII in.), famous "Treasika" (narrow-chain railway, once connecting hair and Milee) with its amazing viaducts, overpass and tunnels, rebuilt in hotels Visitsy (VYZITSA) and its purest mountain sources, "Capital of vineyards" – village Pinakates, as well as a picturesque village Ayos-Eoros-Nilas With resorts Anovolos (www.Anovolios.GR) I Vogestopulu (www.Vogiatzopoulou.GR).
South of the road connecting Cala Nera (Kala Nera), Milee and Tsangara, begin the most "wild" Pelion region, besides, strongly affected by the fires of 2007. There are few attractions and good shores, but in an excess of the national flavor and picturesque landscapes. In a mountain village Schet (AFETES) Somewhat traditional buildings for these places with roofs of slate and decorative church, and the west is a pleasant seaside resort AFISOS (Afyssos). 6 km south stretches the longest sandy-pebble beach of the region – Calamos, Almost deprived of the rest infrastructure. On the way, it is possible to wrap in the monastery of Ayo-Nicolau Pau, rebuilt into the conference center, but retained its frescoes dated 1794. And the south begins good beaches Potysty, Melanie, Horton and Milina, Smoothly flowing in the resorts of the southern shore – Platania, Paralia-Murthia, Paralia-Lyris, Kastra and Kten.
Southwestern Pelion – Trikerion Peninsula practically unknown to tourists. Until 1974, he did not even have a road connecting him with the rest of Greece – all the post went on the sea. And although now the wide highway connects the town of Trikerion with a promirion, and to the center of Pelion can be reached in less than 45 minutes, the inhabitants of this similar to the peninsula claw still feel the islanders. Myself Trikerion (Trikeri, or chorio) – a working port with a multi-colored fleet of fishing ships, everly noisy market and boat workshops that preserve the old traditions, but on this list of its attractions and ends. The Greeks themselves prefer him a tiny village of the cat (Kottes) on the opposite shore of the peninsula, famous for its taverns with sea cuisine. And the northern tip of the peninsula lies an island Paleon-trikerion (Paleo Trikeri), since ancient pirates considered, and now known to his monastery EVANTERISTRIY (XIX in.).