City of Tutaev — District Center for the Yaroslavl region, one of the points on the route Golden Ring of Russia. It is formed by combining two independent cities: Romanova (on the left bank of the Volga) and Borisoglebsk (on the right). Nearest settlements — Yaroslavl (34 km) and Rybinsk (44 km). Distance to Moscow — 308 km.
Population of the city — About 40 thousand people. Such famous people were born here as Marshal of the Soviet Union Fyodor Ivanovich Tolbukhin and the first woman-astronaut Valentina Vladimirovna Tereshkova. There are more than 20 films in the city, one of the most famous — «12 chairs». Tutaev is captured on the picture of the artist Kustodiev «Walking on the Volga».
History of Tutayev
The first inhabitants on the lands of modern Tutayev were representatives of the Finno-Ugric tribe of the Merey, from which the names of some local rivers. In the second half of the XI century, Slavs come here and equip their settlements.
At the beginning of the XIII century, Yaroslavls, saving from the Tatar-Mongolian Halves, fled to the forest covered the valley on the right bank of the Volga and founded the settlement, called Borisoglebskaya all (later Borisoglebskaya Sloboda).
At the end of the XIII century, the Uglich Prince Roman Vladimirovich founded Grad on the opposite, the left bank of the Volga, who called in his honor Romanov, where he also reinforced a quarter of a century.
The hail was located at the intersection of large trade routes, so actively developed, and after the death of the founder passed under the power of Yaroslavl princes.
At the end of the 15th century, all the lands of the Romanov Principality bought the Great Princess Maria Yaroslavna, Mother Ivan III.
She commanded to strengthen the city of Earthwood moat and the shaft and build a defensive fortress with seven tower. Reliefs of urban trees on the left bank of the Volga can be seen to this day.
The main classes of residents of the left bank at the time were trade, fisheries, construction of boats and crossing over the Volga. At the end of the XVI century, King Ivan The Terrible handed the novels to the feeding of Tatar Murzam, which owned it that was undivided 200 years.
During this time, the city acquired a typical Muslim appearance, several mosques were built, who after the resettlement of the Tatars not adopted Christianity under Kostroma were dismantled.
In the troubled time, Romanov was lifted by the Poles, but several stone temples were already built quickly and after 100 years, forge craftsmen, high-speed sailing boats were developed — «Romanovka», Caper was made, which was supplied to the shipyard of St. Petersburg.
In 1822, in order to save the left-bank novels and the right-bank Borisoglebsk were merged into a single city, which was called Borisoglebsk Romanov.
The active development of a new city was hampered by a closeness of a large Yaroslavl, but pleased with the success of certain industries of the economy: they were bred by the famous Romanovsky sheep, a sheepskin-furry factory appeared, a flax manufactory and a mineral oil plant worked, well-known Kuznetsovsky porcelain.
In total, there were about one and a half thousand industries.
At the beginning of the 20th century, the city of Borisoglebsk Romanov was renamed to Tutaev in memory of the ordinary Ilya of Tutaev, who died during the suppression of the White Guard. In the city developed old and built new production, a large road Yaroslavl-Rybinsk passed through it.
In 1969, the construction of the Tutaev Motor Plant began on the right bank, as well as large-scale housing for workers and infrastructure, which led to the movement of the administrative center from the Romanovskiy side to Borisoglebsk.
Modern Tutaev — These are two parts on the opposite coast of the Volga, bound by ferry crossing. Left Coast — Quiet provincial town, where many monuments of old architecture are preserved, from a tourist point of view, it is more attractive. Right bank was actively built up at the end of the 20th century, which led to a partial loss of historical heritage.
Sights of Tutayev
When planning a trip to Tutaev, do not forget that there is no bridge in the city. In the warm season there is a ferry crossing, and in the winter to move to the opposite shore, you must use bridges in nearby cities — Yaroslavl or Rybinsk.
Kazan-Transfiguration Church from red brick — Business card of Tutayev. It is built on the coast of the Volga in 1758. Below is located «warm» Church of the Kazan Icon of the Mother of God, and on the second tier — Summer Church of the Transfiguration of the Lord with open galleries and the refectory, where the high porch leads.
Even above the shore is an openwork bell tower.
One of the oldest stone temples of the city — Cross Cathedral, Built in 1658 on the site of the old wooden church.
Currently recognized by the monument of federal significance. Special attention deserves the painting of the temple, performed in the XVII century, the arteel of the Kostroma painters led by Gurius Nikitin.
In the southern part of the city, where the Posad was once located, it is worth Voznesenskaya (Leontievskaya) Church, Built in 1795. It consists of Nizhny «warm» Temple, Verkhima «Summer» and built-in bell tower, from the south side the porch is attached to it.
Particularly revered in the temple was the icon of Paraskeva Friday, the patroness of young people, artisans and merchants, who, according to legend, has shook the blindness of the Polish invaders, intending to rob church.
Near the church is located Leontiev bridge, Connecting two shores of the Na River Medveda.
It was built at the end of the XIX century by the construction engineer Sergey Nikolayevich Grechaninov and immediately became the decoration of the Volga panorama. The bridge has a three-frame construction and the people are called «Italian».
In the opposite, the north of the city is located Pokrovskaya church, Built in 1654. Initially, it was part of the male Pokrovsky monastery, but after the abolition of the monastery became parish.
Special attention is paid to tent bell tower, decorated with green tiles, as well as the preserved vintage paintings and icons, one of which — Holy Mother of God «Supporting mind».
Not far from the Volga on the top of the hill is located Church of the Holy Library Trinity, which is still called Trinity «On the grazing», as it stands on the place of an old cemetery.
Next to her is another interesting object of the XIX century — Chapel-crypt, which Local Notary Vasily Isidovich Omlok built after the death of his young wife and newborn son. Later here was buried and he himself.
And now from the outskirts we will move to the city center, where one of the most beautiful buildings — Terem from red bricks with a balcony, decorative semi-column and carved platbands.
it House of Maslok, of that very notary, it was built in 1892. During the Soviet power, the house did not nationalize, and it still belongs to the descendants of the Maslok family.
It is worth looking in and in House on Novinsky — The unique museum of the provincial bank, located in the house recognized by the monument of architecture of the XIX century.
Flowing the threshold of this institution, visitors find themselves in the bank’s operating room of the beginning of the 20th century, and can also visit the apartment manager of the Financial Organization.
Recently, thematic exhibitions have also been located here: «Romanovskaya Baranca», «Romanovsky nail» and «Romanovskaya sheep and ko».
Another place where you can plunge into the atmosphere of the provincial Romanov-Borisoglebsk beginning of the XIX century — Manor Zatresin Nobela, which is located on the very shore of the Volga.
The interiors of the estate were preserved exactly the same as they were 200 years ago, in addition, a large collection of objects of blacks and pottery was collected here. Currently there is a hotel in the building.
From the left bank, and just with the Volga, perfectly visible Resurrection Cathedral — The first stone temple of the city, erected on the site of the wooden church of Boris and Gleb, which gave the name of the settlement.
It was built at the end of the XVII century on a high hill and immediately became the architectural dominant city. In Soviet times, the temple remained valid, which made it possible to maintain the main part of the paintings and internal decoration.
Another cult factor of the XVII century — Blagoveshchensk Church — Located in the south of the Rights Bank, where the village of Novo-Annunciation once was, in 1777, which became part of the city of Borisoglebsk.
The temple is notable for its unusual architecture (this is the only cordless temple in the city).
Earlier to get acquainted with the history and traditions of the Tutaevsk land in the museum «Borisoglebskaya Side». Starting once like a small exposition at school, today it has grown into a major museum and exhibition complex.
Exposures dedicated to the famous Romanovskaya sheep, flavoring manufactory, as well as the interiors of the educational class of the middle of the last century, the People’s Tea and even the Cabinet of the head of the enterprise of the Soviet period.
House of merchant Vagina — Typical noble manor mid XIX century. The house was at the corner of the trading area and was an integral part of the historical center of the right bank.
Today on the second floor of the house you can visit the living rooms of the merchant family, and on the first — Traditional shopping bed.
Museum of Fyodor Ushakova and the Russian fleet introduces the bright pages of history not only to Tutayev, but also of all Russia. For the interior of the museum used real sails, masts and even the board of the ship.
Guests of the exposition can try to tie a naval node, disconnect the flask on the real marine market and master the basics of Semafort Alphabets.
Another interesting place on the right bank — Park of Soviet period. It was created at the beginning of the XXI century on the site of an abandoned Square and seem to transfers visitors to half a century ago.
Traditional Soviet park sculptures — Boys with Mountains and Girls in Pioneer Ties — cause nostalgic memories from the older generation, and the exhibition of retro cars introduces the recent past of the popular vehicle.
Tutaev is located in the zone of moderately continental climate, which is characterized by a long and rather cold winter and short warm summer. The average temperature of January — -ten°C, although frosts occur and below -20°WITH. Also in winter it usually drops a lot of snow.
The warmer month — July with an average temperature +17°C, in the afternoon the air warms it average to +23°WITH. The maximum amount of precipitation also falls in July.
To travel to Tutaev you can recommend the most sunny month of the year — August, when a comfortable temperature is installed and the amount of precipitation is reduced. In the same month, the city’s Day is traditionally celebrated.
How to get to Tutaev
When planning a trip to Tutaev, it is necessary to remember that there is no bridge over the Volga in the city, so it’s not so easy to cross the other shore (in winter and at all is impossible).
Plan the route better in that part of the city, which I want to visit more, and after sightseeing through the bridges in Yaroslavl or Rybinsk, cross the Volga to the otherside and continue the journey. Or plan two trips to Tutaev, for each shore separately.
The easiest way to get to Tutayev on a personal car: from Moscow on the highway M8 to Yaroslavl, and then on the road Yaroslavl-Rybinsk to the destination. It should be borne in mind that the road on the left bank of the Volga is somewhat worse than right.
To the right bank of Tutaev can be reached by bus. Direct flights link the city with Yaroslavl, Rybinsky, Kostroma, Cherepovets and Moscow. The left bank of Tutaeva is connected by bus routes with Jaroslavl (Bus 128) and Rybinsky (Bus 160), so you can only get from other cities with a change.
Also before Tutayev can be reached by ship. Tourist vessels are accustomed to the right shore of the city. During the navigation period, the ferry that runs every hour can be used to cross the left bank.